Tankless water heaters have been around for several decades, but they have recently gained popularity due to their energy-saving benefits and compact size. They are commonly used in residential and commercial buildings and can be powered by gas or electricity. In this article, we will discuss the latest tankless heaters installation and maintenance trends to ensure that your tankless heaters are installed and maintained correctly, so it functions optimally for years to come.
Benefits of Tankless Water Heaters
Before delving into the installation and maintenance trends, it's important to understand the benefits of tankless heaters. Some of the key benefits include:
- Energy efficiency: Tankless water heaters are up to 50% more energy-efficient than traditional tank water heaters because they only heat water when needed.
- Space-saving: Tankless water heaters are much smaller than traditional tank water heaters, so they take up less space.
- Longevity: Tankless water heaters can last up to 20 years or more, which is much longer than traditional tank water heaters.
- Continuous hot water: With a tankless water heater, you never run out of hot water because it heats water on demand.
Tankless Heaters Installation Trends
Proper installation of a tankless water heater is crucial to its performance and longevity. Here are some of the latest installation trends to keep in mind:
- Location and Ventilation: Tankless water heaters can be installed indoors or outdoors, but the location and ventilation are critical. If installing indoors, ensure that the unit is installed in a well-ventilated area to prevent carbon monoxide buildup. If installing outdoors, ensure that the unit is protected from the elements and has proper drainage.
- Sizing and Flow Rates: Proper sizing and flow rates are essential for a tankless water heater to function optimally. Ensure that the unit is sized correctly for the building's hot water demand and that the flow rate is sufficient to meet the demand.
- Plumbing Connections: The plumbing connections for a tankless water heater are different from those of a traditional tank water heater. Ensure that the unit is installed by a licensed plumber who understands the plumbing connections required for a tankless water heater.
Proper maintenance of a tankless water heater is crucial to its longevity and performance. Here are some of the latest maintenance trends to keep in mind:
- Flushing the System: Over time, minerals and sediment can build up in a tankless water heater, which can affect its performance. Flushing the system regularly can remove these deposits and keep the unit functioning optimally.
- Descaling the Unit: If your water has a high mineral content, it can cause buildup inside the tankless water heater. Descaling the unit removes these mineral deposits and prevents damage to the unit.
- Replacing the Filter: Most tankless water heaters have a filter that prevents sediment and debris from entering the unit. It's important to replace this filter regularly to prevent clogs and damage to the unit.
Troubleshooting Common Issues
Despite proper installation and maintenance, tankless water heaters can still experience issues. Here are some of the most common water heater problems and their solutions:
- Lack of hot water: This could be due to several issues, such as a faulty thermostat, a clogged filter, or an undersized unit. Consult a licensed plumber to diagnose and fix the issue.
- Cold water sandwich: This occurs when hot water is interrupted by a burst of cold water, and then hot water returns. This issue can be resolved by installing a buffer tank or adjusting the unit's settings.
- Unit won't turn on: This could be due to an electrical issue, such as a blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker. Consult an electrician to diagnose and fix the issue.
- Loud noises: Tankless water heaters are generally quiet, but if you hear loud noises, such as banging or rattling, it could indicate a problem with the unit. Consult a licensed plumber to diagnose and fix the issue.
GO Heating, Air & Plumbing Provides Convenient Tankless Heaters Installation
Throughout the guide, we have explored the benefits of tankless heaters. Additionally, we have discussed the installation trends and highlighted the maintenance trends. By choosing a tankless water heater, homeowners can enjoy a continuous supply of hot water, lower energy bills, and increased efficiency. Moreover, if you need a water heater installation service in Plano, you can simply call us. Our team at GO Heating, Air & Plumbing would love to help you with the installation!
How long does a tankless water heater last?
Tankless water heaters can last up to 20 years or more, which is much longer than traditional tank water heaters.
Can I install a tankless water heater myself?
No, it's recommended that a licensed plumber install a tankless water heater to ensure proper installation and avoid potential issues.
Can a tankless water heater be installed outdoors?
Yes, tankless water heaters can be installed outdoors, but proper protection from the elements and drainage is crucial.
How often should I flush my tankless water heater?
It's recommended to flush your tankless water heater annually to remove any mineral buildup.
How can I tell if my tankless water heater needs maintenance?
If you notice a decrease in hot water flow or temperature, strange noises, or other issues, it's time to call a licensed plumber for maintenance.